The Illinois Amateur Softball Association Executive Committee has selected four teams and ten individuals for induction into the Hall of Fame. The induction ceremony was held at the Hall of Fame banquet in Decatur on April 11, 2015.
2015 Illinois ASA Individual Inductees
- Pete Sconians, pitcher from Danville………Pitched for over 20 years in California and Illinois. Instate he pitched for the Danville Hillpackers, Danville Elsie’s Tap and the Danville Bullock Bulls. He won two state championships as a pitcher but also played several infield positions.
- Fuzz Coffman, Player/Manager from Decatur………..Played and managed for 25 years in Illinois ASA competition. Primarily a shortstop/2nd baseman, he played on two state championship teams with Decatur Rileys. Also managed Rileys for 4 years and the Decatur Good Ole Boys for 4 years.
- Bill Park, sponsor from Virginia, Illinois……..Known simply as “Ballpark”, Bill has sponsored ASA softball teams for approximately 25 years in mens slowpitch, women’s slowpitch and coed. His teams have won several state championships including the ASA coed state tournament the past two years.
- Ron Ames Jr., Player from Belleville, Illinois………Dr. Ames played and pitched for over 30 years primarily in the Belleville area. He played many positions early in his career but finished primarily as a pitcher. He had a .306 lifetime batting average and
pitched in 18 national tournaments. He joins his father, Ron Ames Sr. in the Illinois ASA Hall of Fame.
- Dave Coles, umpire from Belleville, Illinois……….Umpired Illinois ASA softball for 25 years and worked many mens fastpitch state tournaments. Also played nine years in the Alton area. Dave was very popular with the players and managers and served as UIC at many of the mens fastpitch state tournaments held in Belleville.
- Cindy Nelson, player/umpire from Carbondale, Illinois……As a slowpitch player, made ASA All-Tournament team 5 times and 2nd team All American at 1991 coed national tournament in Springfield, Missouri. Cindy has attended seven national umpire schools and has umpired nine ASA national championships.
- Alan Meinhart, pitcher from Effingham, Illinois…….Alan pitched for 30 years in ASA competition. He was all tournament many times in ASA fastpitch state tournaments and 3 times was MVP. He also pitched for two national championship teams (Vandalia Freight) and was an all american three times 2005, 2006 and 2007.
- Bob Nagel, player from Bourbonnais, Illinois…….Bob also played for the famed Vandalia Freight. That team won 3 Illinois State Championships and two ASA National championships. A feared hitter, Nagel made the ASA state tournament team six times and twice was an all American. He played 222 games for the Freight and had 46 home runs and 237 RBI’s along with a .395 batting average.
- Cary Frey, commissioner from Bloomington/Normal, Illinois……..As ASA Vice President, Cary has served the Illinois ASA for 25 years. During that time he was the tournament director for ASA National and state tournaments in Normal. Cary will be inducted in the Meritorious Service category.
- Richard Ogden, umpire from Champaign, Illinois……… Dick umpired for over 25 years in ASA competition. He retired many years ago but not before he umpired 15 Illinois ASA fastpitch state tournaments, 4 Midwest Regionals and the ASA mens major national championship tournament in Pennsylvania in 1976. Dick’s umpiring partner of many years was fellow Hall of Famer Gene Lash.
NOTE: Mike Martin from Decatur, Illinois finished 11th in the balloting and as such will be included in the Illinois ASA Hall of Fame class of 2016 in the Meritorious Service category.
2015 Illinois ASA Team Inductions
- Alton Bucks, mens slowpitch team.
- Sullivan Chiefs, mens fastpitch team.
- Ball Park Motors, Jacksonville coed team.
- Jacksonville Lincoln Douglas Loans, mens slowpitch team.